Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Finger board making

     I made three fingerboards. Two 25.34" (643.6mm) and one 650mm fingerboards are slotted. Two fingerboards (643.6mm and 650mm) for steel strings models are made by African Black wood. For me, African black wood is the best material for fingerboard. This material is very dense, pore less, and super hard. Much more herder than Ebony. Recent years, Ebony quality is consistently worsening. West African ebony which is the best finger board material is no longer available with reasonable cost. Gabon Ebony is very soft, and it almost like a Balsa wood for me. Only negative part of ABW is workability. This material is simply too heard to work. However, once complete as a finger board, it makes super comfortable neck.
     For the nylon model, I will use Brazilian rosewood with short scale (643.6mm). This nylon model showed super responsible top vibration; therefore, I selected a short scale to balance out buss tone. I also wanted to makes a super comfortable neck for nylon strings guitars using the short scale neck. Finger boar width is 48mm at the nut and 60mm at the 12-th fret. This slim neck width with short scale are able to realize very good play ability for Jazz and contemporary musicians.
     I also finished body sanding for both Nylon and SSJ models. Next week, I will joint the neck to the body.



No comments:

Post a Comment