Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Monday, May 26, 2014

Neck Joint (2)

I finished neck joint fitting for all SSJ, MD, and Nylon models. Neck fitting requires three dimensional alignment for action and neck angle to the body. Also, neck heel at the joint must be seamlessly fitted to the body. After I introduced a neck and body mortise cutting fixture, fitting work is so much easier.

I also checked the fitting for the guitar case for MD model, and it looks good. MD model is able to accommodate into the D-size guitar case. SSJ model requires Gibson J-185 guitar case. This is a very hard to find case. However, SSJ is able to fit the Gibson ES-175 case too. ES-175 has a 16" body, and thickness of the guitar case matches the SSJ model.

After assembled the neck and fingerboard, I measured the total weight. SSJ model is 1800-grams. MD model is 2200-grams. Those weights do not include the truss rod. Truss rod weight might be 200-grams. Nylon model's weigh is 1400-grams. Nylon model will not install the truss rod. Nylon and SSJ models were built for light weight using lattice bracing for back. I was able to obtain very light weight guitars. This is very exciting for me to see the sound difference from the reduced weight.

Next week, I will shape the neck. Then, the guitar construction work is pretty much done.




No comments:

Post a Comment