Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Neck shape and fingerboard leveling

   Neck shaping is my most fun process. I really like the neck shaping. I have learned from Late Taku Sakashita for the neck shaping technique. Once I know how to shape the neck, I am able to complete the shaping work within one our. Also, I am able to shape identical two necks using the Taku's method. This time, I shaped a maple neck. This maple material has strong fiddle-back flames. I expected that this neck shape is a quite tricky one. Fortunately, the maple neck shape was not so difficult. It spend a little bit more time than the traditional Mahogany or Spanish ceder neck shaping. I also completed the fingerboard leveling work. Finger board leveling is a tricky work, because I have to predict how much the neck bowing will occur. Nylon strings guitar neck needs decent neck forward bowing. Also, higher fret positions above the 12th fret need a negative tapering to prevent a buzzing problem. This time, to make a neck bowing strong, I on-purposely installed the truss rod or Graphite rod at below 3-frets. I made the neck more flexible above 3frets. This makes an optimum neck bowing.
   Next week, I will install fret wires, and then I will have the final sanding.






No comments:

Post a Comment