Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Binding install

I have been working on the binding install for both nylon and SSJ model. Nylon model was completed the binding install. SSJ needs to install bindings at beveled armrest and cut-a-way portions. So, the body making is pretty much done. I selected highly flamed Hawaiian Koa binding for the nylon model. Hawaiian koa is a non traditional material for Classical guitars (nylon). However, this nylon model is designed for mostly Jazz and contemporary musicians. I selected a non traditional binding material. I also selected Madagascar rose wood for SSJ model. I have been using Ebony for my steel strings models; however, Ebony is quite brittle, and I usually loose 30% of binding materials. To avoid loosing binding materials, I switched to Mad RW. Mad RW is so much easier to bend. I never broken the binding material during the bending process. Hawaiian Koa is a wonderful material for bending process. However, I am not able to use the scraper for the leveling process after the installation. I have to use sanding paper for the leveling. This is a time consuming process. So, each material has advantage and disadvantage.



No comments:

Post a Comment