Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Neck shaping

     I installed fret wires on to the MD and the SSJ necks. Then, I finished a neck shaping work for the MD neck. I learned a neck shaping method form master guitar builder of Taku Sakashita. His method is quite logical. First step is making a square-shaped neck that has final neck thickness at first fret and the 10-th fret. In my steel strings guitar, I have 19-mm thickness at 1-st fret and 21mm thickness at 10-th fret. 2nd step is making a trapezoid shape. Top and bottom sizes on the trapezoid are depending on the final neck shape. Final step is making a curved neck cross section. This method is able to create very precise neck straightness. Actuary, hand neck shaping needs a serious training to create a precise straightness for the neck shaping. Common issue is a bell bottom jeans like neck shape. You night be able to see a poor neck that has a suspended bridge like neck straightness. Taku's method helps a lot to achieve pretty precise neck shape. His method has many hidden techniques those I am not able to tell here. Those techniques make an amazingly comfortable neck shape. Factory built computer shaping machine is not able to create a super comfortable neck like we have been making.
      I also finished a bridge making. This is my signature low profile bridge. I really like super thin wings those minimize bridge weight. This bridge material is Madagascar rose wood.
     Remaining work on the MD model is a final sanding. SSJ model needs a neck shaping and final sanding. Now, my construction projects are approaching to the final stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment