Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Neck joint

   I finished neck install and alignment.Neck installing alignments (string height angle and strings angle) are a time consuming process. I select the string height angle based on my own adjusting method. The method is that extended plane from the neck surface touches to the bridge location. This makes perfect saddle height on the bridge. I have been using a home made straight edge as shown in the first picture. In this case, height at the bridge location is exactly same as the finger board template thickness of 5.5mm.    After I finish the neck installing alignment, I make a cavity for the neck joint. Above the 14th-fret, my finger board has solid wood block which improves high position tonal quality. This block also works as a solid connection block between neck and body. Without using any mechanical screw joint between finger board and the body, my guitar has a quite solid joint between finger board above 14th fret and the body. I also finished a neck extension install at 14th fret.
   Last two photos show that my neck string angle is not on the straight line of the guitar center. My neck has slight offset towered 1-st string. My neck's extended center line is 2mm offset from the guitar's body center at the bottom. This makes approximately 0.8mm-offset at the 14th fret. So, my finger board has more margins from the edge to 1st string at higher position. Without using this offsetting technique, a player might experience a string falling problem when he or she plays 1-st string at high position. This problem is more serious on the Nylon strings guitar, because of lower string tension.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you so much for sharing your job: very very impressive. Did you follow Somogyi style for neck alignment?


    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This technique is quite common among Nylon strings guitar builderes, because Nylon string guitars have a common 1-st string falling issue. Now, steel strings builders start using this technique according to my knowledges.

    Kohei

    ReplyDelete