Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Neck Making 5

     This week, I finished finger board surfacing, radiusing, fret-wire install, and neck rough shape.
     I have been using 20' radius for the fingerboard. I remove almost 80% of fret-wire tangs, because the tangs expand fingerboard slots. It makes the neck's reverse bending. Some builders use this effect as the neck re-enforcement. However, the neck curve control is extremely difficult. I do not want to change neck bend after install the fret wires. So, my neck shape will never be changed after install the fret-wires. I use yellow glue for the fret wire install. Usually, I do not have a fret-wire leveling session during the guitar neck set-up, because the fret wires are already precisely leveled.
     For the neck shaping, I start with neck thickness shape, and thicknesses are 21mm at 1-fret and 23mm at 11-fret respectively. Then, I remove the neck's shoulders. After, finish the rough shaping, I will use a home made large sanding board for final neck shaping. This is the quickest, and most accurate neck shaping technique for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment