Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Fret-wire install and neck shape

      For the custom MD project, I did the fret-wire install and the neck shape. This guitar has the fingerboard binding. For the fingerboard with binding, I needed to cut fret-wire edges. There is a custom tool to remove the fret-wire edges. This is an amazing tool. It makes the fret-wire work so first and high quality. I usually remove fret-tangs approximately 80%. To make good bonding to the fingerboard slot, I use yellow glue for the fret-wire install. Fret-wire tangs are way too large. If I install the fret-wire without tang modifications, fret-wire works as a large tapered pin in a fingerboard slot. This makes a reverse bow shape for the neck. Traditional classical guitar makers have been using this technique for the neck reinforcement. However, modern neck design is a different story. Modern neck has two carbon fiber rods and steel truss rod. Neck itself has more than enough robustness against the strings pull. So, I remove the fret-wire tangs to avoid the unwanted fingerboard deformation.

     Before install the neck to the body, I did a rough shape for the neck. Now, I completed the final shape for the neck. I also completed the volute shaping. This neck has an Ervin Somogyi style volute. Although my neck has a completely different headstock design, Erving Somogyi style volute works good for my neck design. Next week, I will have sanding sessions, and hopefully, I can move to an Epoxy filler apply process.









No comments:

Post a Comment