Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, December 2, 2012

side and back making

I did thickness sanding for back and sides. To obtain approximately 2mm thickness from 5mm material requires a lot of works. Drum sander is a standard tool to obtain desired thickness. However, it takes long hours and many sanding papers that I have to change. African black wood has a lot of resin, and it makes an over heating issue for the sandpaper, because the melted resin fills sandpaper quite quickly. To minimize drum sander sessions, I channeled back and sides with a laminate trimmer, then planed with a block plane. In this session, I am able to obtain approximately 2.5mm thickness fairly quickly.
I also installed five horizontal narrow wood patches in the back. These patches prevent back clacking issues that might happen in the near future due to the invisible internal clacking. Also, these patches support the four pies back structure. My black wood backs are made by four pies jointed materials. Black wood materials purchased from Hibdon hardwood have excellent quality. Back and side materials are super stable. I am very happy with the material quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment