Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Neck making

     I have been using laminated neck technology. Basic material for my necks is Spanish Ceder or Cedro. Cedro has slightly lighter weight than Honduras mahogany. Cedro also has slightly larger pores that Mahogany. After the lamination work, I use a #7 jointer plane for making reference plane. Steel strings necks are quite simple to make. However, a slotted neck making is a bit complicated. My slotted neck head has square slots for four machine heads and three machine heads. To make square slots, I cut the head potion first to create square slots, and then glue again. Then, the slotted head is connected to the neck using a V-joint technique. V-joint is a traditional technique that has been using  among Spanish guitar makers.
     Those rough cut neck blanks will be sit in idol for a white until lamination stresses are released. While waiting neck blanks to stabilize, I will go back to detailed work for bodies.



No comments:

Post a Comment