Kohei Fujii Guitars

Kohei Fujii Guitars

Sunday, March 7, 2021

First Spray Session

      I have done a first spray session. After two coats of EM6000 water based acrylic lacquer spray, I fixed tiny pores. Tiny pores are very herd to recognize after Epoxy filling sessions. Once apply lacquer spray, tiny pores are visible. I have been using the EM6000 with silica thickener powder. This formula works as pore filler. Silica thickener is a powder glass. So, this thickener is 100% transparent. After over night cure, I have 400-grit dry sanding session to make pore free finish. Now, the guitar is ready for the final spray session.

     EM6000 is an excellent water based acrylic lacquer. However, you cannot apply this water based finish to a bare wood surface. You can imagine that you are spraying water into a bare wood surface, if you do not have primer coats. That is why I have been using Epoxy filler for the water based acrylic lacquer. Epoxy filler is also a primer coat to protect moisture from the water based acrylic. 

     I finished three coats spraying today. I will have four to seven more coats depending on locations in next couple of days.














2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea in using EM6000 + silica thickener. Are you. actually epoxy costing the top as well or only the back and sides?

    Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do epoxy filling on both body, neck, and top. However, I remove epoxy filler almost entirely from spruce section on the top.

    ReplyDelete